- What is Web-Service Integration?
- How does it work?
- What do I need to configure?
- What PI data can we update via Integration?
- What Feedback data can we update via Integration?
What is Web-Service Integration?
Web service integration allows you to pull data directly from external systems to create or update Feedback records and PI data, and once configured can run independently. Because the service can be run automatically it is well suited to data entered via web forms such as complaints and FOI data, or for items which need to be regularly updated from a source such as monthly PI data.
The web service accesses your Pentana Risk via a user login, so all its actions are controlled by the same permissions and ownership systems as standard Users and can be tracked in the Audit Trail.
How does it work?
The data will need to be posted to Pentana Risk in an XML format, following our XML schema (see the implementation document for further information and syntax).
Generally, implementations will be via webforms or a database source, but how this connection is constructed is the responsibility of the customer.
Once the Import has been posted, the integration can continue to poll the service using the Import ID response to ensure the data transfer completes successfully. The data will then be imported into the Pentana Risk application and will be immediately available for other Users to access.
For a pre-built implementation option, we have a ‘Middleware’ integration which provides a PI data import service from SQL query on a data source. For more information on the Middleware integration please contact Support.
What do I need to configure?
You will need to configure:
- A Pentana Risk user account for the integration service. This account should be configured with a password (some customers chose to prevent this password from expiring to prevent service interruptions) and appropriate permissions:
- PI imports will need the following permissions at minimum: PI_Update data; PI_Activate; PI_Targets Edit.
- Feedback imports will need the following permissions at minimum: Feedback_Create; Create_Contact.
- Your application will need to POST the data in the format outlined by the XML schemas:
What PI data can we update via Integration?
PI Integration is limited to updating PI values and PI value targets for a specific PI and period.
The following Pentana Risk fields are used in the value import:
- PI Code
- The time period for the data that is being imported. This data combines the period, frequency and year elements of your PI collection to ensure the correct collection and period is updated.
- The value for this period.
- The target for this period.
What Feedback data can we update via Integration?
Feedback Integration allows new Feedback items to be created (with contact details attached if needed).
The following Pentana Risk fields can be included in the import:
- Feedback Code, Title and Description
- Feedback Type
- Contact Details
- Time/Date values (Opened, Due, Closed)
- Customer Fields