This article will explain how to troubleshoot and identify issues with launching your Classic application.
- Launching Classic
- Downloading a current version of Classic.
- The download doesn't start when I click the links.
- The file ('JNLP' or 'PRPM') downloads, but the application doesn't launch.
- The 'JNLP' downloads, but the application launches using a different program.
- The application starts to launch, but then fails.
- I've done all the above, but I still cannot run Classic.
- Logging into Classic
Some issues may be seen when trying to download/launch Classic. This section will help you to troubleshoot and resolve issues.
How can I download a current version of Classic?
There are two ways to access the Classic application:
- Through the Browser application 'Go To' menu.
The 'Classic' menu option may not be available if your Site Admin hasn't configured this to show for your User. If this is the case please contact your Site Admin and ask them to update this for you.
- Through your 'Welcome page'.
It is recommended to always use these access points to ensure that you are always using the most recent version of Classic as older versions (from a previous release) may not run.
The download doesn't start when I click the links.
First, check your 'Downloads' folder on your computer. There are two types of files that may be downloaded when you access Classic: a 'JNLP' file or a 'PRPM' file. Both types can be seen in this downloads folder:
If you cannot see any of these files in your recent downloads please contact your IT team to see if you are able to download/install files of this type.
The file ('JNLP' or 'PRPM') downloads, but the application doesn't launch.
Locate the download in your downloads folder, and double click to launch the application manually.
Your computer may ask you which program you want to use to launch the file.
- For the JNLP version, select 'Java TM Web Launcher' from the application list
- For the PRPM version, select 'Pentana Risk Installer' from the application list.
If either of these are not available in your lists of applications, open your start menu and search for them within your applications list.
If they are still unavailable, you may need to download and install them:
- The JNLP version requires Java 7 or Java 8 which can be downloaded here.
- The Pentana Risk Installer must be downloaded from your site before you can launch it directly from the app. For help with this, please contact Support.
You may need your IT team to assist you with installing these programs depending on your permissions. If you are unable to have Java on your machine please see our Pentana Risk exe FAQ guide, or contact Support for more information.
The 'JNLP' downloads, but the application launches using a different program.
This occurs when the 'Open With' (file association) settings of JNLP files have changed.
To resolve this:
- Find the item in your downloads folder, and right-click on it.
- Select 'Open With' and choose 'Choose another app' from the list:
- You can then search for the 'Java Web Launcher', check the 'Always use this app to open .jnlp files' box, and click 'OK'
The next time you download and run a JNLP the file will launch correctly using the Web Starter.
The application starts to launch, but then fails.
This is generally a result of insufficient permissions to install, run or access applications (or simply just Classic).
You can confirm your permissions yourself, by locating where on your computer/network the application is installed.
- Right click on this folder, and click on 'Properties'.
- Click on the 'Security' tab, and find your name in the 'Group or user names' list. Click on your name.
- Under the 'Permissions' section, your User will need:
- 'Read & Execute' and 'Modify'
- or 'Read' and 'Write'
For help locating your installation directory or for any issues with permissions please contact your IT Team.
I've done all the above, but I still cannot run Classic.
Common problems with launching either type of the Classic application are a result of network permissions within your organisation. It may be necessary to ask your IT team to whitelist the '.pentanarpm.uk' domain or help you configure proxy settings for the application.
To help the Support team advise you on the best route forward, please raise a Support ticket with as much information as possible, including any details about your network and limitations on permissions.
If you are using the Java version, use your Windows menu to search for 'Configure Java', click on it to launch the Java 'Control Panel'.
- Click on 'About' to confirm the version of Java that is installed.
- Click on the 'Network Settings' button, and screenshot this view.
- Click on the 'Advanced' tab, and user 'Java Console' change the option to 'Show Console'.
Try and relaunch the application, and copy the contents of the console. This can then be pasted into a support ticket for further investigation.
Logging into Classic
I've launched Classic, but I can't login.
To login to Classic you will need to have the 'Classic Login' permission. You can check this in Browser by clicking on your name in the top-right of the page and selecting 'Profile':
Under the 'Permissions' panel, check for 'Classic Login':
If you do not have this permission contact a Site Admin and ask them to update your Permissions.
If you do have this permission, check that you are using the correct login details or access Classic via the Go To menu (as this will automatically sign you in using Classic SSO). A Site Admin may be able to help you identify if you are using the incorrect login details as this will be shown in the Audit Trail.